Determination of 8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine and creatinine in murine and human urine by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry: application to chemoprevention studies.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Verschoyle, Richard D.
Thorpe, James F.
Mellon, J. Kilian
Steward, William P.
Farmer, Peter B.
Gescher, Andreas J.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUrinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxodG) represents a non-invasive biomarker for oxidative stress and may be useful for monitoring chemotherapeutic and chemopreventive interventions associated with cancer-related alterations in oxidative stress. We describe the development and validation of two separate liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) selected reaction monitoring (SRM) methods for the determination of 8-oxodG and creatinine in both murine and human urine using stable isotope labelled internal standards. Levels of 8-oxodG were normalised to creatinine. The LC/MS/MS methods were applied to two chemoprevention studies utilising tea polyphenols in humans and TRAMP (TRansgenic Adenocarcinoma of the Mouse Prostate) mice. Patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia received 1 g/day of green tea polyphenols (GTP), 1 g/day of black tea theaflavins (BTT) or no treatment for 4 weeks. TRAMP mice received GTP (0.05% in drinking water) for 4 or 25 weeks. Prostate pathology in TRAMP mice was not affected by GTP. Levels of 8-oxodG were not altered by tea polyphenols in either mice or humans. In TRAMP mice, urinary 8-oxodG levels were elevated with increasing age (p < 0.0001) but not changed by the presence of prostate tumours. In conclusion, the LC/MS/MS SRM methods described here are ideally suited for the accurate determination of 8-oxodG and creatinine in urine samples from both clinical and pre-clinical studies.
CitationRapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2009, 23 (2):258-266
- A serially coupled stationary phase method for the determination of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine by liquid chromatography ion trap tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Rota C, Cristoni S, Trenti T, Cariani E
- Issue date: 2013
- Simultaneous determination of 8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine and 8-oxo-2'-deoxyadenosine in DNA using online column-switching liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Singh R, Teichert F, Verschoyle RD, Kaur B, Vives M, Sharma RA, Steward WP, Gescher AJ, Farmer PB
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Gender-related reference intervals of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine determined by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in Serbian population.
- Authors: Topic A, Francuski D, Markovic B, Stankovic M, Dobrivojevic S, Drca S, Radojkovic D
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Rapid measurement of 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine in human biological matrices using ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Lam PM, Mistry V, Marczylo TH, Konje JC, Evans MD, Cooke MS
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Urine 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxodG), a specific marker of oxidative stress, using direct, isocratic LC-MS/MS: Method evaluation and application in study of biological variation in healthy adults.
- Authors: Lee KF, Chung WY, Benzie IF
- Issue date: 2010 Mar