Environmental impact and human health risks of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in the vicinity of a new hazardous waste incinerator: a case study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to assess the environmental impact of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDD/Fs) in the vicinity of a new hazardous waste incinerator (HWI) 4 years after regular operation of the facility. A double approach was carried out. The PCDD/F congener profiles corresponding to environmental samples, soil and herbage, collected before the HWI (baseline) and 4 years after starting regular operations, as well as PCDD/F profiles of air emission samples, were compared. The potential health risks (carcinogenic and noncarcinogenic) due to PCDD/F exposure were assessed for adults and children living in the neighborhood of the facility. Human exposure to PCDD/Fs was mainly due to dietary food intake. Comparisons between the PCDD/F congener profiles corresponding to the baseline and current surveys, as well as data concerning the human health risk assessment, indicate that the HWI in question does not cause additional risks to the environment orto the population living in the vicinity of the facility.
CitationEnviron. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40 (1):61-66
DescriptionKEYWORDS - CLASSIFICATION: adverse effects;analysis;Benzofurans;cancer epidemiology;Dioxins;Environmental Exposure;Environmental Health;Environmental Monitoring;Hazardous Waste;Humans;Incineration;metabolism;Refuse Disposal;Research;Risk Assessment;Spain;Toxicology.
- PCDD/F and non-ortho PCB concentrations in adipose tissue of individuals living in the vicinity of a hazardous waste incinerator.
- Authors: Schuhmacher M, Domingo JL, Hagberg J, Lindström G
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Monitoring dioxins and furans in a population living near a hazardous waste incinerator: levels in breast milk.
- Authors: Schuhmacher M, Domingo JL, Kiviranta H, Vartiainen T
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Concentrations, profiles, and estimated human exposures for polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans from electronic waste recycling facilities and a chemical industrial complex in Eastern China.
- Authors: Ma J, Kannan K, Cheng J, Horii Y, Wu Q, Wang W
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 15
- Health risk assessment of emissions of dioxins and furans from a municipal waste incinerator: comparison with other emission sources.
- Authors: Meneses M, Schuhmacher M, Domingo JL
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Monitoring dioxins and furans in the vicinity of an old municipal waste incinerator after pronounced reductions of the atmospheric emissions.
- Authors: Domingo JL, Bocio A, Nadal M, Schuhmacher M, Llobet JM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun