Environmental impact and human health risks of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in the vicinity of a new hazardous waste incinerator: a case study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to assess the environmental impact of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDD/Fs) in the vicinity of a new hazardous waste incinerator (HWI) 4 years after regular operation of the facility. A double approach was carried out. The PCDD/F congener profiles corresponding to environmental samples, soil and herbage, collected before the HWI (baseline) and 4 years after starting regular operations, as well as PCDD/F profiles of air emission samples, were compared. The potential health risks (carcinogenic and noncarcinogenic) due to PCDD/F exposure were assessed for adults and children living in the neighborhood of the facility. Human exposure to PCDD/Fs was mainly due to dietary food intake. Comparisons between the PCDD/F congener profiles corresponding to the baseline and current surveys, as well as data concerning the human health risk assessment, indicate that the HWI in question does not cause additional risks to the environment orto the population living in the vicinity of the facility.
CitationEnviron. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40 (1):61-66
DescriptionKEYWORDS - CLASSIFICATION: adverse effects;analysis;Benzofurans;cancer epidemiology;Dioxins;Environmental Exposure;Environmental Health;Environmental Monitoring;Hazardous Waste;Humans;Incineration;metabolism;Refuse Disposal;Research;Risk Assessment;Spain;Toxicology.
- Concentrations of PCDD/Fs in the neighborhood of a hazardous waste incinerator: human health risks.
- Authors: Marquès M, Nadal M, Díaz-Ferrero J, Schuhmacher M, Domingo JL
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Monitoring dioxins and furans in plasma of individuals living near a hazardous waste incinerator: Temporal trend after 20 years.
- Authors: Nadal M, Mari M, Schuhmacher M, Domingo JL
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Dietary intake of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDD/Fs) by a population living in the vicinity of a hazardous waste incinerator: assessment of the temporal trend.
- Authors: Domingo JL, Perelló G, Nadal M, Schuhmacher M
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 1
- Decreasing temporal trends of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in adipose tissue from residents near a hazardous waste incinerator.
- Authors: García F, Barbería E, Torralba P, Landin I, Laguna C, Marquès M, Nadal M, Domingo JL
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 10
- Environmental impact of a new hazardous waste incinerator in Catalonia, Spain: PCDD/PCDF levels in herbage samples.
- Authors: Schuhmacher M, Rodriguez-Larena MC, Agramunt MC, Diaz-Ferrero J, Domingo JL
- Issue date: 2002 Jul