Binding of galectin-1 (gal-1) to the Thomsen-Friedenreich (TF) antigen on trophoblast cells and inhibition of proliferation of trophoblast tumor cells in vitro by gal-1 or an anti-TF antibody.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGalectin-1 (gal-1), a member of the mammalian beta-galactoside-binding proteins, recognizes preferentially Galbeta1-4GlcNAc sequences of several cell surface oligosaccharides. We demonstrate histochemically that the lectin recognizes appropriate glycotopes on the syncytiotrophoblast and extravillous trophoblast layer from second trimester human placenta and on BeWo chorion carcinoma cells. Gal-1 binding to BeWo cells was diminished by the Thomsen-Friedreich (TF)-disaccharide (Galbeta1-3GalNAc-) conjugated to polyacrylamide (TF-PAA). Gal-1 also inhibited BeWo cell proliferation in a concentration-dependent manner. Similar antiproliferative effects were also observed with an anti-TF monoclonal antibody (mAb, A78-G/A7). Therefore, we conclude that ligation of Galbeta1-4GlcNAc and Galbeta1-3GalNAc epitopes on BeWo cells may have regulatory effects on cell proliferation.
CitationHistochem. Cell Biol. 2006, 126 (4):437-444
JournalHistochemistry and cell biology
DescriptionKEYWORDS CLASSIFICATION: Antibodies;Antigens,Tumor-Associated,Carbohydrate;Cell Line,Tumor;Cell Proliferation;drug effects;Female;Galectin 1;Germany;Glycophorin;Humans;immunology;Immunoglobulin M;metabolism;mechanisms of carcinogenesis;pharmacology;Research;Trophoblastic Neoplasms;Trophoblasts.
- Binding of galectin-1 (gal-1) on trophoblast cells and inhibition of hormone production of trophoblast tumor cells in vitro by gal-1.
- Authors: Jeschke U, Reimer T, Bergemann C, Wiest I, Schulze S, Friese K, Walzel H
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Expression of galectin-1, -3 (gal-1, gal-3) and the Thomsen-Friedenreich (TF) antigen in normal, IUGR, preeclamptic and HELLP placentas.
- Authors: Jeschke U, Mayr D, Schiessl B, Mylonas I, Schulze S, Kuhn C, Friese K, Walzel H
- Issue date: 2007 Nov-Dec
- Binding of galectin-1 to breast cancer cells MCF7 induces apoptosis and inhibition of proliferation in vitro in a 2D- and 3D- cell culture model.
- Authors: Geiger P, Mayer B, Wiest I, Schulze S, Jeschke U, Weissenbacher T
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 8
- Inhibiton of RET and JAK2 signals and upregulation of VEGFR3 phosphorylation in vitro by galectin-1 in trophoblast tumor cells BeWo.
- Authors: Fischer I, Schulze S, Kuhn C, Friese K, Walzel H, Markert UR, Jeschke U
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Stimulation of syncytium formation in vitro in human trophoblast cells by galectin-1.
- Authors: Fischer I, Redel S, Hofmann S, Kuhn C, Friese K, Walzel H, Jeschke U
- Issue date: 2010 Sep