Cytochrome P450 1B1, a novel chemopreventive target for benzo[a]pyrene-initiated human esophageal cancer.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEsophageal cancer is common worldwide, with poor prognosis. Smoking, including exposure to polyaromatic hydrocarbons like benzo[a]pyrene (BaP), is a major risk factor. In human esophageal HET-1A cells, we found that time-dependent BaP-DNA binding was associated with upregulation of CYP1B1, but not CYP1A1, mRNA and protein. The dietary flavonoid 5,7-dimethoxyflavone significantly inhibited BaP-DNA binding and down-regulated BaP-induced CYP1B1 mRNA and protein. 3',4'-Dimethoxyflavone was an even more potent inhibitor of CYP1B1 expression, while resveratrol had no effect. Thus, dietary methoxylated flavones inhibited BaP-induced CYP1B1 transcription in a cell-specific manner and hold promise as chemopreventive agents in esophageal carcinogenesis.
CitationCancer Lett. 2007, 246 (1-2):109-114
DescriptionDietary modulation of carcinogenesis-related pathwaysDietary item or component studied: 5,7- dimethoxyflavone (5,7-DMF) and 30,40-dimethoxyflavone (30,40-DMF)Pathways studied: BaP- DNA binding by inhibition of CYP1B1/1A1 activity and/or protein expressionStudy type (in vitro, animals, humans): in vitroImpact on pathway (including dose-response): 5,7-DMF: BaP-DNA binding was markedly inhibited and the BaP-induced part of the CYP1B1 mRNA expression (P<0.05)30,40-DMF: showed a more potent inhibition of BaP-induced CYP1B1 mRNA (P<0.05. KEYWORDS CLASSIFICATION: dietary modulation of carcinogenesis-related pathways;mechanisms of carcinogenesis;Research;Smoking;
- Inhibition of benzo[a]pyrene-activating enzymes and DNA binding in human bronchial epithelial BEAS-2B cells by methoxylated flavonoids.
- Authors: Tsuji PA, Walle T
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- 5,7-Dimethoxyflavone downregulates CYP1A1 expression and benzo[a]pyrene-induced DNA binding in Hep G2 cells.
- Authors: Wen X, Walle UK, Walle T
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Preferential induction of CYP1B1 by benzo[a]pyrene in human oral epithelial cells: impact on DNA adduct formation and prevention by polyphenols.
- Authors: Wen X, Walle T
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Inhibitory effects of chrysoeriol on DNA adduct formation with benzo[a]pyrene in MCF-7 breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Takemura H, Nagayoshi H, Matsuda T, Sakakibara H, Morita M, Matsui A, Ohura T, Shimoi K
- Issue date: 2010 Jul-Aug
- Novel methoxylated flavone inhibitors of cytochrome P450 1B1 in SCC-9 human oral cancer cells.
- Authors: Walle T, Walle UK
- Issue date: 2007 Jun