Meta- and pooled analyses of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: a huge-GSEC review.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Ebert, Matthias P.A.
Zhang, Fang Fang
van Duijn, Cornelia M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is a key enzyme in the metabolism of folate, whose role in gastric carcinogenesis is controversial. The authors performed a meta-analysis and individual data pooled analysis of case-control studies that examined the association between C677T and A1298C polymorphisms (the former being associated with low folate serum levels) and gastric cancer (meta-analyses: 16 studies, 2,727 cases and 4,640 controls for C677T and seven studies, 1,223 cases and 2,015 controls for A1298C; pooled analyses: nine studies, 1,540 cases and 2,577 controls for C677T and five studies, 1,146 cases and 1,549 controls for A1298C). An increased risk was found for MTHFR 677 TT in the meta-analysis (odds ratio (OR) = 1.52, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.31, 1.77) and pooled analysis (OR = 1.49, 95% CI: 1.14, 1.95). No association resulted for MTHFR 1298 CC (meta-OR = 0.94, 95% CI: 0.65, 1.35; pooled OR = 0.90, 95% CI: 0.69, 1.34). Results from the pooled analysis of four studies on C677T stratified according to folate levels showed an increased risk for individuals with low (OR = 2.05, 95% CI: 1.13, 3.72) versus high (OR = 0.95, 95% CI: 0.54, 1.67) folate levels. Overall, these findings support the hypothesis that folate plays a role in gastric carcinogenesis.
CitationAm. J. Epidemiol. 2008, 167 (5):505-516
JournalAmerican Journal of Epidemiology
DescriptionEditor's note: This paper is also available on the website of the Human Genome Epidemiology Network (http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/).
SponsorsThis study was supported by a training fellowship Environmental Cancer Risk, Nutrition and Individual Susceptibility (ECNIS), an FP6 EC Network of Excellence (contract ETP/14/2007).
- Meta-analyses of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and risk of head and neck and lung cancer.
- Authors: Boccia S, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Ricciardi G, Gianfagna F, Matsuo K, van Duijn CM, Hung RJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 8
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms and susceptibility to gastric cancer in Chinese populations: a meta-analysis.
- Authors: Sun L, Sun YH, Wang B, Cao HY, Yu C
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) genetic polymorphisms and psychiatric disorders: a HuGE review.
- Authors: Gilbody S, Lewis S, Lightfoot T
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 1
- Genetic polymorphisms of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene, plasma folate levels and breast cancer susceptibility: a case-control study in Taiwan.
- Authors: Chou YC, Wu MH, Yu JC, Lee MS, Yang T, Shih HL, Wu TY, Sun CA
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and gastric cancer: a meta-analysis.
- Authors: Dong X, Wu J, Liang P, Li J, Yuan L, Liu X
- Issue date: 2010 Feb