Toward consensus in the analysis of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine as a noninvasive biomarker of oxidative stress.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOf the DNA-derived biomarkers of oxidative stress, urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxodG) is the most frequently measured. However, there is significant discrepancy between chromatographic and immunoassay approaches, and intratechnique agreement among all available chromatography-based assays and ELISAs is yet to be established. This is a significant obstacle to their use in large molecular epidemiological studies. To evaluate the accuracy of intra/intertechnique and interlaboratory measurements, samples of phosphate buffered saline and urine, spiked with different concentrations of 8-oxoG, together with a series of urine samples from healthy individuals were distributed to ESCULA members. All laboratories received identical samples, including 2 negative controls that contained no added 8-oxodG. Data were returned from 17 laboratories, representing 20 methods, broadly classified as mass spectrometric (MS), electrochemical detection (EC), or enzyme-linked immunosorbant assay (ELISA). Overall, there was good within-technique agreement, with the majority of laboratories' results lying within 1 sd of their consensus mean. However, ELISA showed more within-technique variation than did the chromatographic techniques and, for the urine samples, reported higher values. Bland-Altman plots revealed good agreement between MS and EC methods but concentration-dependent deviation for ELISA. All methods ranked urine samples according to concentration similarly. Creatinine levels are routinely used as a correction factor for urine concentration, and therefore we also conducted an interlaboratory comparison of methods for urinary creatinine determination, in which the vast majority of values lay within 1 sd of the consensus value, irrespective of the analysis procedure. This study reveals greater consensus than previously expected, although concern remains over ELISA.-ESCULA [European Standards Committee on Urinary (DNA) Lesion Analysis], Evans, M. D., Olinski, R., Loft, S., Cooke, M. S. Toward consensus in the analysis of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine as a noninvasive biomarker of oxidative stress.
CitationFASEB J. 2010, 24 (4):1249-60
JournalThe FASEB Journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
SponsorsSome of the authors of this paper are partners in, and this work was partly supported by, ECNIS (Environmental Cancer Risk, Nutrition and Individual Susceptibility), a Network of Excellence operating within the European Union 6th Framework Program, Priority 5: Food Quality and Safety (contract 513943)
- Urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine analysis by an improved ELISA: An inter-laboratory comparison study.
- Authors: Rossner P Jr, Orhan H, Koppen G, Sakai K, Santella RM, Ambroz A, Rossnerova A, Sram RJ, Ciganek M, Neca J, Arzuk E, Mutlu N, Cooke MS
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine values determined by a modified ELISA improves agreement with HPLC-MS/MS.
- Authors: Rossner P Jr, Mistry V, Singh R, Sram RJ, Cooke MS
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- Interlaboratory comparison of methodologies for the measurement of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine.
- Authors: Cooke MS, Barregard L, Mistry V, Potdar N, Rozalski R, Gackowski D, Siomek A, Foksinski M, Svoboda P, Kasai H, Konje JC, Sallsten G, Evans MD, Olinski R
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Human and methodological sources of variability in the measurement of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine.
- Authors: Barregard L, Møller P, Henriksen T, Mistry V, Koppen G, Rossner P Jr, Sram RJ, Weimann A, Poulsen HE, Nataf R, Andreoli R, Manini P, Marczylo T, Lam P, Evans MD, Kasai H, Kawai K, Li YS, Sakai K, Singh R, Teichert F, Farmer PB, Rozalski R, Gackowski D, Siomek A, Saez GT, Cerda C, Broberg K, Lindh C, Hossain MB, Haghdoost S, Hu CW, Chao MR, Wu KY, Orhan H, Senduran N, Smith RJ, Santella RM, Su Y, Cortez C, Yeh S, Olinski R, Loft S, Cooke MS
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 20
- A serially coupled stationary phase method for the determination of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine by liquid chromatography ion trap tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Rota C, Cristoni S, Trenti T, Cariani E
- Issue date: 2013