Prospective study of physical activity and risk of primary adenocarcinomas of the oesophagus and stomach in the EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and nutrition) cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsHuerta, Jose Maria
Johnsen, Nina Fons
Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita, H.
Monninkhof, Evelyn M.
Numans, Mattijs E.
Peeters, Petra H.
Crowe, Francesca L.
Key, Timothy J.
Wareham, Nicholas J.
Gonzalez, Carlos A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To analyse the association between types of physical activity (occupational, recreational and household, vigorous and overall) and risk of primary oesophageal (OAC) or gastric adenocarcinoma (GAC). METHODS: From nine European countries, 420,449 participants were recruited between 1991 and 2000 and followed-up for a mean of 8.8 years to register incident GAC and OAC. Information on physical activity (PA), diet, lifestyle and health-related variables was obtained at baseline. Helicobacter pylori infection status was considered in a subset of 1,211 participants. Analyses were repeated by tumour site (cardia/non-cardia) and histological type (intestinal/diffuse). RESULTS: During the follow-up, 410 GAC and 80 OAC occurred. A lower risk of overall and non-cardia GAC was found for increasing levels of a PA index which combined occupational PA with weekly time spent in sports and cycling. The hazard ratio (HR) of GAC was 0.69, 95% CI: 0.50-0.94, for the comparison between active and inactive participants according to the PA index (HR = 0.44, 95% CI:0.26-0.74, for non-cardia GAC). No effect was found for cardia tumours or histological subtypes of GAC. PA of any kind was not associated with OAC. CONCLUSIONS: Overall and distal (non-cardia) gastric tumours were inversely associated with time spent on cycling and sports and a total PA index. No association was found for any type of PA and risk of cardia cancers of the stomach.
CitationCancer Causes Control 2010, 21 (5):657-669
JournalCancer Causes & Control : CCC
SponsorsSome authors are partners of ECNIS, a network of excellence of the EC (6FP contract 513943).
- Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: González CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, Agudo A, Bingham S, Palli D, Ferrari P, Boeing H, del Giudice G, Plebani M, Carneiro F, Nesi G, Berrino F, Sacerdote C, Tumino R, Panico S, Berglund G, Simán H, Nyrén O, Hallmans G, Martinez C, Dorronsoro M, Barricarte A, Navarro C, Quirós JR, Allen N, Key TJ, Day NE, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Bergmann MM, Overvad K, Jensen MK, Tjonneland A, Olsen A, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ocke M, Peeters PH, Numans ME, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Trichopoulou A, Psaltopoulou T, Roukos D, Lund E, Hemon B, Kaaks R, Norat T, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- Socioeconomic position and the risk of gastric and oesophageal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST).
- Authors: Nagel G, Linseisen J, Boshuizen HC, Pera G, Del Giudice G, Westert GP, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Allen NE, Key TJ, Numans ME, Peeters PH, Sieri S, Siman H, Berglund G, Hallmans G, Stenling R, Martinez C, Arriola L, Barricarte A, Chirlaque MD, Quiros JR, Vineis P, Masala G, Palli D, Panico S, Tumino R, Bingham S, Boeing H, Bergmann MM, Overvad K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Olsen A, Tjonneland A, Trichopoulou A, Bamia C, Soukara S, Sabourin JC, Carneiro F, Slimani N, Jenab M, Norat T, Riboli E, González CA
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Physical activity domains and risk of gastric adenocarcinoma in the MCC-Spain case-control study.
- Authors: Huerta JM, Chirlaque MD, Molina AJ, Amiano P, Martín V, Fernández-Villa T, Pérez-Gómez B, Moreno V, Burgui R, Gómez-Acebo I, Ramos-Lora M, Fernández-Tardón G, Peiró R, Olmedo-Requena R, Pollán M, Kogevinas M, Castaño-Vinyals G, Aragonés N, Navarro.
- Issue date: 2017
- Helicobacter pylori and oesophageal and gastric cancers in a prospective study in China.
- Authors: Kamangar F, Qiao YL, Blaser MJ, Sun XD, Katki H, Fan JH, Perez-Perez GI, Abnet CC, Zhao P, Mark SD, Taylor PR, Dawsey SM
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 15
- Trends in incidence of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and gastric cardia in ten European countries.
- Authors: Botterweck AA, Schouten LJ, Volovics A, Dorant E, van Den Brandt PA
- Issue date: 2000 Aug